Greg Ashman: 'Death of a dogma?' - post about learning through play v direct teaching

This is the hub of the site and the place to post queries, start discussions and join in the conversation!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Greg Ashman: 'Death of a dogma?' - post about learning through play v direct teaching

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

This piece by teacher-blogger, Greg Ashman, is not long so do read in full - it raises the issue of 'learning through play' versus 'directly teaching academic content to young children':
Death of a dogma?
https://gregashman.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... f-a-dogma/
...However, I think it puts to bed the idea that directly teaching academic content to young children is somehow harmful. As more evidence accumulates, it is time to ditch the rules restricting what teachers of young children are allowed to teach them and how they are allowed to teach. The dubious concept of developmental appropriateness has had its day.
I'm linking this to a post about England's inspectorate, Ofsted, publishing a very controversial report about provision for the four to five year olds known as 'Bold Beginnings...', see here:
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Greg Ashman: 'Death of a dogma?' - post about learning through play v direct teaching

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I'm linking this to a thread about England's inspectorate, Ofsted, publishing a very controversial report known as 'Bold Beginnings...' featuring provision for the four to five year olds This might serve to exemplify that different views of what provision is appropriate for pre-schoolers is a very hot topic indeed:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=921