Dorothy Bishop reviews a physical literacy programme STEP - looking like 'DORE' all over again...!

This is the hub of the site and the place to post queries, start discussions and join in the conversation!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Dorothy Bishop reviews a physical literacy programme STEP - looking like 'DORE' all over again...!

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I'm sure many people have grown up with the idea that it is not the 'done thing' to criticise the work of others.

Sadly, looking deeply into the work of others is exactly what we need to do at all times - to be able to understand it and evaluate it. This is particularly the case when it comes to teaching reading as anyone can tell from visiting the IFERI site and from investigating the historic and current 'reading wars' in English-speaking countries.

Increasingly, academics and others are feeling compelled to write blogs, and also books, to address the plethora of claims about improvements in reading from using various methods, resources, programmes, specific exercises - there is even the suggestion that diet changes will make a difference to reading ability!!!

Professor Dorothy Bishop's blog post, link below, is a very important 'must' read - please take the time:

http://deevybee.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/ ... ramme.html
Sunday, 2 July 2017

The STEP Physical Literacy programme: have we been here before?
As with Dore, STEP has been promoted to politicians, who argue it should be introduced into schools. In this case, the Christopher Chope role is fulfilled by Liz Smith MSP, who appears to be sincerely convinced that Scotland's literacy problems can be overcome by having children take two 10 minute sessions out of lessons to do physical exercises.

On Twitter, Ben Goldacre noted that the directors of Dynevor CIC, overlap substantially with directors of Step2Progress, who own STEP. The registered address is the same for the two companies.
When asked about Dore, those involved with STEP deny any links. After I tweeted about this, I was emailed by Lucinda Roberts Holmes, Managing Director of STEP, to reassure me that STEP is not a rebranding of Dore, and to suggest we meet so she could "talk through the various pilots and studies that have gone on both in the UK and the US as well as future research RCTs planned with Florida State University and the University of Edinburgh." I love evidence, but I find it best to sit down with data rather than have a conversation, so I replied explaining that and saying I'd be glad to take a look at any written reports. So far nothing has materialised. I should add that I have not been able to find any studies on STEP published in the peer-reviewed literature, and the account of the pilot study and case studies on the STEP website does not given me confidence that these would be publishable in a reputable journal.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Dorothy Bishop reviews a physical literacy programme STEP - looking like 'DORE' all over again...!

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

There is now a conversation being held via Twitter about whether STEP proponents claim it is linked to improvements in dyslexia.

Why would STEP be entitled 'Physical Literacy'? It defies me.
STEP Physical Literacy as an attainment strategy in the UK
https://community.tes.com/threads/step- ... uk.751653/

Note one reader's comment via the TES forum (not mine - I always leave my name!):
Absolutely not an evidence based program.
Weak pilot study with a high drop out rate.
Of course exercise is great for children and good teaching of basic physical skills is vital but to claim that this movement program will improve a child's reading and maths is ridiculous.
Evidence based best practice to improve a child's reading is clear - systematic phonics....