Yet more misunderstanding of phonics 'first, fast and only' in the TES again!

This is the hub of the site and the place to post queries, start discussions and join in the conversation!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Yet more misunderstanding of phonics 'first, fast and only' in the TES again!

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Well - are we reaching a point when the detractors to phonics are going to be published daily in the TES (Times Educational Supplement)?

I've written a 'reader's comment' and posted it at the bottom of this piece but don't know whether it will be published or not - so, just in case, I've copied and pasted my comment below.
'Phonics is essential. But, alone, it is not enough'

Jamie Fries

29th November 2017

If we're going to do anything about our intractable problem with social mobility, we need to recognise that phonics on its own won't solve many of the regional problems with illiteracy
To be socially mobile, you need to be able to read. Phonics is essential, but not enough.
https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... not-enough

Here is my reader's comment:
This piece is very ill-informed. Nick Gibb and the DfE have gone to considerable lengths, including instigating parliamentary inquiries into the teaching of reading, an independent national review, providing official phonics and literacy guidance, alterations to the National Curriculum, introduction of a phonics check, match-funding for phonics programmes, training and cumulative, decodable reading books, the promotion of 'love of reading' and the need for quality texts in our schools - to support the improvement of literacy.

The 'first, fast and only' mantra applies to NOT promoting multi-cueing word-guessing as this approach is well-evidenced in a body of research as potentially damaging many children's reading profiles. 'First, fast and only' does not mean 'do not attend to comprehension, story-read-alouds, sharing books of interest' - and so on. This is a gross misundertanding or misinterpretation of that particular phrase.

At no time EVER has there been any promotion advising AGAINST developing vocabulary and language comprehension both within phonics provision and in the wider curriculum. This is an untruth.

Also, Nick Gibb and the DfE have promoted the adoption of quality phonics programmes to support teaching and learning. These high-quality phonics programmes include attention to vocabulary enrichment and language comprehension - and I should know having written a couple.

Sir Jim Rose promoted the Simple View of Reading model in his 2006 review which all teachers should know about - but don't always. This model makes it clear that to be a reader in the full sense involves two main processes: 1) technical word recognition/decoding - What IS the word? and 2) language comprehension - What does the word MEAN? This model was adopted, promoted, student-teachers are trained in this model (or should be) and it makes it quite clear that there is more to reading than phonics provision alone.

So, the problem lies with the critics' lack of understanding and misguided criticism - not the official guidance itself.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Yet more phonics bashing and misinterpretation in the TES!

The TES piece is already circulating via Twitter so Susan Godsland flagged up this post on David Didau's blog featuring the explanations of Jacqui Moller-Butcher:

http://www.learningspy.co.uk/reading/only-phonics/
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Yet more phonics bashing and misinterpretation in the TES!

Further, see the third page on this document which I had felt forced to create to explain the 'first, fast and only' rationale back in 2010:

https://phonicsinternational.com/teachingmodel.pdf