Eng: More important news - the publication of a new 'reading framework' and newly DfE-validated SSP programmes

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Eng: More important news - the publication of a new 'reading framework' and newly DfE-validated SSP programmes

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I suggest this is a really important day in England as a new official reading framework has been published - and it could have significance in other countries around the world - hopefully.
Policy paper

The reading framework: teaching the foundations of literacy

Guidance for schools to meet existing expectations for teaching early reading.

Department for Education and The Rt Hon Nick Gibb MP

Published
10 July 2021

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-literacy
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng: More important news - the publication of a new 'reading framework' and newly DfE-validated SSP programmes

I've travelled a long journey when it comes to this field and pioneering to achieve research-informed reading instruction and best practice. So, I really felt the need to write a personal response to what I consider to be a truly important development:
***No. 4: 10th July 2021 – a great day! The DfE and Minister Nick Gibb publish ‘The reading framework: teaching the foundations of literacy’

This is my personal opinion based on my personal experiences, observations and reflections …

At long last, the Department for Education (England) and Minister of State for School Standards, Nick Gibb, have published a substantial guidance document for the teaching of early reading and spelling/handwriting – launched on Saturday 10th July 2021. THIS IS A GREAT DAY!
https://debbiehepplewhite.com/no-4-10th ... -literacy/
I’m not sure how others might regard the significance of these developments – perhaps not in the same light as me as this has, indeed, been a long and hard personal and professional journey – but I view the advent of this reading framework as a new era for reading and spelling instruction at least in England’s case – and I do wish for officials and people with influence in other countries teaching reading and writing in the English language to hurry up, take note, and even use Nick Gibb’s profoundly important, long-but-very-readable, very good, guidance framework!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng: More important news - the publication of a new 'reading framework' and newly DfE-validated SSP programmes

Click on the link below to access full information on the Government's site for guidance for schools in England:
New validation process

By ensuring high-quality phonics teaching the government wants to improve literacy levels to:

give all children a solid base upon which to build as they progress through school
help children to develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
In April 2021, we published the revised core criteria for effective systematic synthetic phonics teaching programmes and launched a new process to validate complete systematic synthetic phonics teaching programmes. This process is for both previously assessed programmes and new applicants.

A number of publishers have completed a self-assessment process based on these criteria, which were then reviewed by independent evaluators. A total of 9 systematic synthetic phonics programmes have been validated in this round, 5 of which are newly validated for use in schools.

Programmes that feature on the previous validated lists will need to apply by 28 February 2022. If they do not apply, they will no longer feature on the list.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... programmes
Information for schools

There is no statutory requirement for schools to choose one of the SSP programmes on the validated list. However, validation status indicates that a programme has been self-assessed by its publisher and judged by a small panel with relevant expertise and that both consider it to meet all of the Department for Education (DfE) criteria for an effective systematic synthetic phonics programme.

A complete systematic synthetic phonics (SSP) programme is one that provides:

-all that is essential to teach SSP to children in reception and key stage 1 years of mainstream primary schools
-sufficient support for children in reception and key stage 1 to become fluent readers
-a structured route for most children to meet or exceed the expected standard in the year one phonics screening check
-all national curriculum expectations for word reading through decoding by the end of key stage 1

Programme summaries for each validated SSP programme will be published shortly. These overviews will help you choose an SSP programme that is best for your school.

The English Hubs programme will only support schools to implement an SSP programme from this updated validated list. If you are or are about to become, a partner school which is supported by one of our English Hubs, contact your local English Hubs school to discuss which SSP programme to use in your school.

More guidance on choosing an SSP programme is available through the English Hubs.