Eng & Aus: Australians advocating the phonics check contribute to challenging the condemnation in England!

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Eng & Aus: Australians advocating the phonics check contribute to challenging the condemnation in England!

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

https://www.tes.com/news/demoralising-a ... nics-check
'Demoralising and crazy': teachers condemn phonics check

More than four in five heads think test should no longer be statutory for all pupils in Year 1
Wouldn't it be great to see the TES, and reporter Helen Ward, publishing case studies of those schools getting outstanding phonics results year after year, where teachers appreciate being informed by the phonics check with pupils who take it happily in their stride!

Don't hold your breath where the TES is concerned. Sensationalist condemnation of anything phonics is right up the reporters' street!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng & Aus: Australians advocating the phonics check contribute to challenging the condemnation in England!

So, I was really pleased to see that the first two readers' comments were from Australian ladies who are working hard in Australia to promote the need for a national snapshot phonics check there! Well done Julie and Belinda!
Julie Mavlian

This check was trialled in South Australia and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Teachers thought it simple and easy to administer, and children thought it was fun and they enjoyed spending the 1to1 time with their teacher. If this check is demoralising students then we have to ask how is it being delivered?

Pseudowords have a place in assessment of phonological recoding skills, and they are in reliable testing tools such as DIBELS. As we learn to recode we use small non words to make real words, consider mag/ni/tude or sec/tus sem/pra (Harry Potter).

Let’s remind ourselves of what happens to students who don’t learn to read and spell well who aren’t identified early. The debilitating impact on self esteem, employment prospects and mental health are very real and last much longer than a quick 5 minute check. Let’s keep it all in per/spect/ive.
Belinda Dekker

Demoralising is when a child fails to learn to decode and suffers the emotional and social consequences of illiteracy. I wrote an article about my daughter’s experiences here. https://dekkerdyslexia.wordpress.com/2018/03/...
And as someone who thinks a national snapshot check is invaluable for informing teachers, I chipped in too...
Debbie Hepplewhite

The negativity around the the phonics check illustrates the huge lack of professional knowledge and understanding of the teaching profession, and teacher-training profession, for reading instruction - and it certainly shows that there is no 'common' understanding. Ironically, many people in Australia are passionately advocating for a national phonics check there because literacy standards are notoriously low through flawed teacher training, flawed and weak reading instruction and, again, a lack of common understanding about the findings of a body of reseach and how best to teach reading. Teachers need to be supported by being fully aware of their teaching effectiveness in this essential aspect of reading instruction and to benefit from learning what the most effective teachers do to achieve their results. If any child is 'upset' by the phonics check - a few minutes one to one with their teacher to read a list of words, half of them with colourful little creatures - then I'm afraid that this is most likely down to the adults and their attitudes and actions towards it.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng & Aus: Australians advocating the phonics check contribute to challenging the condemnation in England!

For anyone advocating the check and facing a lot of opposition and protestation, the common arguments and my responses might be helpful - as you can see, I've been standing up for the check and promoting its importance for a long time!

Debbie Hepplewhite’s direct response to David Reedy’s suggestions expressed in the ‘Teach Primary’ magazine, April 2013: ‘The Great Debate – Is it time to ditch the Y1 Phonics Screening Test?’

https://phonicsinternational.com/reedy_response.pdf

Debbie Hepplewhite’s response to talks and discussions held on 27th November 2012 at the Westminster Education Forum Keynote Seminar: Testing and assessment in primary schools

https://phonicsinternational.com/Westmi ... ite%20.pdf