Susan Godsland advises parents on 'What to Avoid' - programmes and practices, including Reading Recovery, to be avoided

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Susan Godsland advises parents on 'What to Avoid' - programmes and practices, including Reading Recovery, to be avoided

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

http://www.dyslexics.org.uk/should_I_options.htm
Your Options / What to Avoid / Tutoring

Should I have my child assessed?

In his 2006 report Sir Jim Rose said, ''The indications are that, when children do not get a really good start, they are likely to need interventions to enable them to 'catch up' and 'recover' ground that they should not have lost in the first place'' (Rose 2006.para 100) In the same report Sir Jim Rose recommended that additional support in ALL the waves/tiers of intervention should be fully compatible with mainstream practice (high quality, systematic synthetic phonics taught discretely) (Rose Review 2006 p70)) and he rightly rejected the NLS Searchlight multi-cueing strategies. Ruth Kelly, Education Secretary at the time, accepted all the Rose report's recommendations and said she would ensure they were implemented.The DfES (now DfE) followed up Kelly's statement, saying, ''High-quality phonic work, as defined by the Rose review, should be a key feature of literacy provision in all the ‘waves’ of intervention'' (DfES 2007 PNS)

X http://ssphonix.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/ ... etely.html
''I am often asked about the role of phonics in 'catch up'...Phonics is the basic mechanism of all reading...There are no reliable alternatives''

The new national curriculum, statutory in state maintained schools, states:
"If they are still struggling to decode and spell, they need to be taught to do this urgently through a rigorous and systematic phonics programme so that they catch up rapidly."

Your Options -and what to avoid:
Susan Godsland, IFERI committee member, provides a very informative and acclaimed site which is heavily 'referenced' throughout - meaning that everything she advises is backed up by evidence of one kind or another - usually multiple sources!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Susan Godsland advises parents on 'What to Avoid' - programmes and practices, including Reading Recovery, to be avoi

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I am cross-referencing this thread with the latest paper critiquing the realities of Reading Recovery as (now) laid bare in New Zealand (Chapman and Tunmer, 2018):

http://www.iferi.org/iferi_forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1054
We conclude that RR does not tailor instruction to meet the needs of individual students, as claimed. The RR instructional model, developed in the 1970s, fails to recognise the importance of explicit, systematic instruction in phonemic awareness and the use of letter–sound relations. Such instruction is essential for most students who struggle with literacy learning during their early years of schooling and especially important for students who experience the most difficulty with learning to read. Suggestions are presented for strengthening the RR programme and for reducing the number of unrecovered students.