Eng and beyond (interesting development): 'HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework'

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Eng and beyond (interesting development): 'HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

This commentary is relevant to England's context (but interesting internationally as similar issues of 'knowledge versus 21st century skills' are argued more widely - take, for example, the consequences unfolding from the Gonski report in Australia currently):

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -framework
Authored article
HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework
Ofsted's Chief Inspector, Amanda Spielman, discusses findings from recent curriculum research, curriculum design and the new education inspection framework.

Published 18 September 2018
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng and beyond (interesting development): 'HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework'

Well, talk about coincidence, as soon as I had posted the information above, someone else flagged up this article about a consultation taking place in New South Wales featuring 'the curriculum' - so I have changed my original title of this thread to include 'and beyond'! Of course it is not 'new' for educationalists to argue about (sorry, debate) what schools should include in their subject content - and methodology of teaching, learning and assessment:

https://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/ ... re-taught/
What would you change about the way our kids are taught?

Jamieson MurphyJamieson Murphy
FOR the first time in almost 30 years, parents, teachers and the community will be able to have their say on the way the state’s children are taught.
The NSW Curriculum Review will be in Tamworth on Tuesday.

The man leading the charge, Australian Council for Educational Research CEO Geoff Masters, said it was the first comprehensive review of the whole school curriculum since 1989.

“This is a unique opportunity to reflect on what the NSW community now wants from its schools,” Mr Masters said.

“The review will ensure that the NSW curriculum prepares young people for the future.”

One of the main goals of the review is to investigate how to de-clutter the curriculum, so it allows teachers to focus on the main knowledge and skills that all students should have.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng and beyond (interesting development): 'HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework'

I'm linking this thread to another that I started about the consequences of the Gonski report in Australia:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1108