The Times Educational Supplement: 'Why we need to talk about phonics' - YES!!!

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

The Times Educational Supplement: 'Why we need to talk about phonics' - YES!!!

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

It's good to see this article - I've been saying this 'forever' - that we need to take a close look at the realities in schools of how phonics is delivered, the nuances between different programmes and do they matter, the delivery of programmes and whether teachers move too far away from guidance and training - and phonics beyond the first two years of introduction...and so much more.

I've also asked the question as to why the researchers in England's context have not apparently 'been professionally curious' to find out more about the 'DfE validated' phonics programmes - and comparing the 'Letters and Sounds' publication (DfES, 2007) with the recognised commercial phonics programmes. Note I don't even like to describe 'Letters and Sounds' as a 'phonics programme' because it has no teaching and learning resources and therefore it has to be equipped with freebies or other phonics resources - made or bought.

Anyway, I was glad to see this article at long last...
Why we need to talk about phonics

The debate around phonics is usually around whether it should be used or not, when actually we need to discuss how best to use it, argues Julia Carroll in this week's Tes Podagogy Podcast

https://www.tes.com/news/why-we-need-talk-about-phonics

When I get a spare moment (LOL), I'll listen to the podcast...