Canada: Ontario Human Rights Commission 'Right to Read' inquiry findings

Downloads and links to relevant research and articles, along with book recommendations.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Canada: Ontario Human Rights Commission 'Right to Read' inquiry findings

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I've flagged up this important query via the forum: Around the World News and Events. It is very important and so I'm also adding it to this Research and Recommended Reading forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1436&p=3042#p3042
Geoff Vaughan

Re: Canada: Ontario Human Rights Commission 'Right to Read' inquiry findings

Post by Geoff Vaughan »

Yesterday I attended the virtual symposium for the #RightToRead findings by the OHRC and hosted by IDAOntario. It really was an incredible symposium with a whole array of fantastic speakers, all passionate about how to implement change for all in Ontario (and beyond).
It seems to me that the international movement has to do what Mr Kareem Weaver urged in looking at getting ALL children to read as a national effort. This is truly an international effort and IFERI has a strong leadership and communal role to play in this advocacy. I do hope many who attended yesterday can join in this international effort and see what IFERI has to offer in helping to solve illiteracy internationally.
Local to National to International. That way we create real change for all.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Canada: Ontario Human Rights Commission 'Right to Read' inquiry findings

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

And vice versa too, Geoff:

International to National to Local.

It was international inquiries in America, Australia and Canada that drew sensible conclusions and recommendations many years ago:

https://iferi.org/evidence/

All the more reason why it is nothing less than tragic, and unnecessary, that any teacher remains lacking in knowledge and untrained in how best to teach reading - and that any child is left not taught well, or badly or with a flawed approach.

We're clearly needing both top down (official guidance) and bottom up (teachers doing great things in the classroom and spreading the word) so to speak!