Jackie Nieuwenhuizen: What would you have had me do, Mem Fox?

Downloads and links to relevant research and articles, along with book recommendations.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Jackie Nieuwenhuizen: What would you have had me do, Mem Fox?

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

This piece by Jackie Nieuwenhuizen exemplifies the folly that a rich book experience will teach children to read - and provides evidence that it does children and their parents a grave disservice to suggest that great books and rich language will do the job:
What would you have had me do, Mem?
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/81f204_88 ... 96ce95.pdf
The evidence is extremely clear: at least 30% (National Year of Reading suggests 41%) of children will NOT learn to read adequately unless they are TAUGHT using evidence-based programs.

We see the sad ongoing consequences of this daily, in miserable, angry kids who go on to be miserable, angry teenagers and adults who have been let down by a wilful ignoring of the facts.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Jackie Nieuwenhuizen: What would you have had me do, Mem Fox?

Mem Fox rears her head again with misinformation about children becoming literate - and, thankfully, Alison Clarke of Spelfabet reviews Mem's TV interview:
Fact and fiction with Mem Fox

On telly’s Today show last week, celebrated children’s fiction author Mem Fox talked about the importance of reading to children, something with which absolutely everyone agrees.
https://www.spelfabet.com.au/2018/11/fa ... h-mem-fox/
Debbie_Hepplewhite

I've cross-referenced this thread with a very 'hot topic' rich-content thread from the General Forum, see below - it's all going on internationally (November 2108):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1070
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Bob Sweet (Robert Sweet Jnr) is circulating my article below via the National Right to Read Foundation (NFRR) of which he is president.

It is being well-received with comments that Mem Fox would benefit from reading it!

Thus, I'm adding a link to the thread featuring Mem Fox and responses to her suggestion that children will become readers simply from being read to a lot!

https://www.mybaba.com/chatter-books-an ... pplewhite/
Teaching Your Child to Read: How to Guarantee Your Child Becomes Truly Literate

Debbie Hepplewhite 2 March, 2015

Chatter, Books and Phonics: How best to guarantee your child becoming truly literate.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Belinda Dekker writes an 'Open Letter' to Mem Fox:

https://dekkerdyslexia.wordpress.com/20 ... o-mem-fox/
Open letter to Mem Fox

“If every parent, or carer …read aloud a minimum of three stories a day to children in their care, we could eliminate illiteracy within one generation.”

Dear Mem,

The first time I saw this quote of yours was on a poster in our school library. My daughter had just been diagnosed with Dyslexia. I was already filled with enough parental guilt for not intervening in her schooling earlier. I really didn’t at that point to need any more guilt. It made me so sad and so angry. For a few years I had been asking teachers questions. They would answer …”she seems so bright!” “We don’t know why!” “Don’t worry she will get it.” “Do you read to her?”

Now I know better. I know I did do all the right things to give my daughter the best chance to read. But my daughter has Dyslexia and she did not receive the instruction she needed in school to teach her to read. I know that reading to your child is foundational to learning to read. But I also know that for most children it is not enough and they need to be taught explicitly how to read.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

I'm cross-referencing this thread with one featuring an open letter to Mem Fox written by Professor Anne Castles - including some personal responses by parents of children struggling to read:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1146&p=2308#p2308