Jason Wade writes about the 'Seven Sins of Spelling'

Looking for instant classroom resources or handy documents to help with the teaching and assessment of reading? Download them here!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Jason Wade writes about the 'Seven Sins of Spelling'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I hope teachers and parents read Jason's post and take it very seriously. It includes very good advice:
Seven Sins of Spelling
http://jweducation.co.uk/2020/03/14/sev ... -spelling/
Every time I google the term ‘spelling strategies’ I weep, overwhelmed by the guff and the nonsense. So, I thought I’d unpick (okay, it gets a little ranty at times) some of the worst offenders. I could have included 20 failed strategies, but have kept it to seven. There are other offenders, equally or even worse, than those critiques here, some of which deserve blog posts of their own. If you or your school uses these, please don’t see it as an attack. It’s true, I don’t think they have a place in a sensible spelling curriculum, but I don’t lay the blame at the door of busy, hard working teachers for using them. Somebody, somewhere told you that these strategies represent good practice: perhaps in your initial teacher training, on a course, or in a book. And for that, I feel for you. I have used some of these in the past; but I feel better now. Hopefully, this will lead at least one other teacher on the road to spelling recovery.