USA: Stephen Parker's 'ParkerPhonics' site and blog

A useful place to find helpful blogs and websites with a wealth of information about reading.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

USA: Stephen Parker's 'ParkerPhonics' site and blog

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Stephen Parker's free books and blogs are well-received internationally:

https://www.parkerphonics.com
If you're going to

TEACH READING

Do it Logically. Use Synthetic Phonics
ABOUT ME

I'm a life-long teacher of mathematics, computer science, and reading. After teaching my own 3 children to read by their third birthdays, I became interested in reading instruction in general. What I discovered in many schools baffled me: a method called Whole Language (since discredited) and now, in its place, Balanced Literacy.

There is no "balance" in Balanced Literacy. Essentially, it's Whole Language with some ineffective phonics added in after the child starts "reading" based on memorized sight words and on guessing strategies. Balanced Literacy will not alter the scandalous fact that 2 out of 3 of our children never become proficient readers.

I live in Boston with my wife, Celeste. I'm giving my books away in an attempt to hasten change in the way children are taught to read and spell.

If you find my books helpful, spread the word by copying them for your friends or by directing your friends to ParkerPhonics.com..

Thank you.