Heather F blog: 'Schools shouldn't be relying on parents to teach reading'

This is a dedicated forum to allow parents to post questions, discuss issues and to ask for, and receive advice about, any concerns they may have regarding their children and the reading instruction that they are given at school.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Heather F blog: 'Schools shouldn't be relying on parents to teach reading'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Several years old, this post is still as relevant today as when it was written - do you recognise the descriptions - the reality-check - here?
Schools shouldn’t be relying on parents to teach reading.
https://heatherfblog.wordpress.com/2014 ... ssion=true
Most schools rely on parents to teach children to read.

No! I can already anticipate the angry response as teachers explain that they run weekly or bi-weekly group reading sessions and daily discrete phonics sessions…
It will make me horribly unpopular to say it but still I stand by my original claim.

I have spent too many hours on the TES early years and primary forums where teachers discuss their practice to be entirely ignorant. I’ve also read the interminable Mumsnet discussions in which mums compare notes on how much their children read at school. Mums with kids at all sorts of schools join in. There are voices from urban and rural schools.
This post should not be interpreted as parents shouldn't need to hear their child read, or that they shouldn't need to share great storybooks and non-fiction books with their children, the issue is that teachers are responsible for teaching reading - WELL - and children's ability to read should not be reliant on the reading experiences at home.