'Dear Parents: Welcome to the Confusing World of Reading Instruction' by Professor Pamela Snow

This is a dedicated forum to allow parents to post questions, discuss issues and to ask for, and receive advice about, any concerns they may have regarding their children and the reading instruction that they are given at school.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

'Dear Parents: Welcome to the Confusing World of Reading Instruction' by Professor Pamela Snow

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I highly recommend Professor Pamela Snow's blog 'The Snow Report' and this in particular for parents:
Dear Parents, Welcome to the Confusing World of Reading Instruction
https://pamelasnow.blogspot.com/2019/08 ... HSCampaign
Dear parents

I am reaching out about a subject that I know will be extremely important to you – the question of whether or not your child learns to read in the early years of school. Some of you might be alarmed at the thought that this would even be open to question. I can hear you now: “Surely, if my child is attending a local school, irrespective of education sector, they are going to learn to read?! Why would I even need to worry about this?” I know that many of you are concerned about this, though, because I regularly hear from parents via email. So I thought I would compile some information here about regularly asked questions and concerns.

Unfortunately, all is not as it should be when it comes to how we teach our children to read, and parents need to be well-informed about this.

Pam is a member of IFERI's Advisory Group:

https://iferi.org/advisory-group/
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: 'Dear Parents: Welcome to the Confusing World of Reading Instruction' by Pamela Snow

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

There are a number of ongoing battles regarding the format of reading instruction in schools and for teacher training.

Here is one example of the battle in Scotland, headed up by IFERI committee member, Anne Glennie:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=911
Geoff Vaughan

Re: 'Dear Parents: Welcome to the Confusing World of Reading Instruction' by Pamela Snow

Post by Geoff Vaughan »

This is such a wonderful blogpost to help parents. Thank you Professor Pamela. I have been thinking a lot recently about how best to get the information about how best to read to parents and advice like this from such a world expert is just the sort of detail all parents world-wide need. Is there a way of publicising this blog wider so that people who really are in need of this (parents) are able to access it more easily? I am convinced parent knowledge is the final frontier as it is with parents understanding of what they should be looking for in reading instruction at school that real change will happen.